Vineyard weddings have become incredibly popular as more and more people discover the raw, natural beauty of the vineyards in the Yarra Valley and other areas around Melbourne. There’s something absolutely magical about getting married under a crystal blue sky, surrounded by acres of gorgeous green vines, with the rustic setting of the winery as the backdrop. But before you start planning your vineyard wedding, here’s what you need to know:
1. Time of year matters. During the winter, the vineyard will likely be too cold for an outdoor wedding. During the spring, the vines will just be coming in season, so you may not have that lush, green backdrop you want. Summer is the best time of year if you want gorgeous greenery, especially right before the late summer harvest. During the autumn, the late-growth grapes will still be on the vines, but the majority of the vines will be a colorful orange.
2. Rustic is the décor scheme. While there are vineyards that offer breathtaking elegance, most will rely on a rustic décor: distressed wooden tables, natural-colored tablecloths, wooden wine barrels, vintage metal lanterns and centerpiece holders, and burlap accents. Plan your décor elements—such as your invitations, place cards, event programs, and so on—to match that theme.
3. Transportation is a must. If you have a large number of guests flying or traveling into Melbourne for your wedding, it’s important that you plan on transporting them out to the vineyard. You may want to rent a bus or hire a car service to chauffeur everyone to the vineyard and bring them back into town again after the wedding is over. That way, your guests can drink and be merry without having to worry about driving home.
4. Get creative with the food. Most vineyards offer catering for weddings, but you may find that food trucks are a unique way to spice things up. Food trucks are fully mobile, so they’re easy to drive out to the Yarra Valley to cater the wedding at the vineyard of choice. If you want to do something new and original with your wedding dinner, you definitely ought to consider a food truck caterer.
5. Try new and unique drinks. Just because you’re hosting the wedding at a vineyard, that doesn’t mean you need to automatically choose wine as your drink of choice. Yes, the vineyard will likely be able to offer you a good deal on their wines, but you can find other options like champagne, sparkling wine, cocktails, and craft beers. If you’re looking into food trucks, you may be able to find local craft breweries or artisanal liquor makers that can whip up some unique cocktails for your big day.
A vineyard wedding can be absolutely magical if done right. You have the perfect surroundings for a picturesque day, and the tips above will help you to take into account everything else that goes into planning a wedding at a vineyard.