Wouldn’t it be awesome to get married without going into debt for years to come? A wedding can be a costly affair, but the good news is that you can shave a few thousand dollars off your debt if you are smart with your wedding planning. Here’s how you can save on everything from your Melbourne wedding venue to the catering:
- Prioritize — How important is it for you to get married in wine country with that perfect dress and that tribute band you’ve always dreamed of? Perhaps there are a few “must haves”, things you absolutely cannot do without. Think about which things you might be better off without, and cut them from the budget for big savings.
- Borrow — When you’re getting married, the temptation may be to buy EVERYTHING brand new. After all, it’s your big day, and it only comes around once, right? See if your friends and family have things you can borrow, such as sound equipment, musical talent, veils, bridesmaids gowns, and anything else. You’d be amazed by how much you can save.
- Ask for Referrals -– Smart wedding planners will book their Melbourne wedding venues first, and they’ll ask the venue for referrals. Remember that most venues have contacts with catering companies, audiovisual equipment providers, and entertainers. They may even be able to negotiate a lower deal with those vendors if they work with them regularly, so it’s worth asking.
- Talent Scout — See if any of your friends have talents you can use to help make your wedding dreams come true. You may find that one of your friends or family members is an ordained minister, or they have a band that would like to play at your wedding. It may be a bit harder to deal with friends and family, but it will definitely save you a small fortune.
- Negotiate — Never take the first price you’re quoted as the last price. Always make sure to negotiate, no matter who you’re dealing with. You won’t get a discount if you don’t ask, so it’s in your best interests to ask your wedding venue, caterer, or other vendors, “What’s the best price you can offer me?”
- Shop Around — If you find a wedding venue you feel is perfect, don’t sign the contract just yet. Make sure to visit more venues, and see what the average price is. If the venue of your dreams charges a higher price, they may be willing to drop the cost a bit if you say, “I went to X-venue, and they were offering me the same deal at a much lower price.”
- Buy on Credit — When doing your wedding shopping, consider buying EVERYTHING on your credit card. As long as your credit card earns points for each purchase, you’ll save a fortune in the long run. You may even rack up enough miles to take a free vacation or stay at a fancy hotel for a very low price. Even if you have all the money you need to pay for the wedding, consider earning points on your card.